Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hi there all

Well I am back at the scene of the crime and if you have been following this you will have seen the pictures. Chris loaded a few for me as I can't do it from here.

Getting back home was the best - how I miss the serenity of this place - battered and wounded as She is.

I first started to notice how things had changed here at Beale when we flew past Pachena and I noticed that you could now see Beale's tower in the distance - due to the fact that the loggers have topped and removed ever so many trees here on the station - I would reckon close to 100 trees have been removed or "modified". The next thing I noticed is how the whole Cape has changed due to down trees. Ivan can no longer look out his window and see out through the little gap in the forest to the ocean. There are two huge trees down there - the guys figure they may be able to remove the limbs at least - maybe. There are also a lot of trees down or leaning as you walk from the chopper pad towards Ivan's place by the old water trail. The two trees that came down into the garden - by the shed have really made a difference in the area behind our fire pit and although the loggers only topped those trees there are gaps where the two big trees are gone.

The walk down to the beach is devastating to me - it no longer has a Stanley Park feel to it - but then again Stanley Park doesn't anymore either. There are several trees that came down just below the Cardiac corner bench tearing up quite a long section of the stairs - although alot of the trees did not snap they fell over taking up huge root balls and soil with them - this is the damage on the stairs. Just past the little bridge we enter a clear cut zone - I can not explain to you how this tears at me - its shocking. There is so much debris and downed trees laying on the ground it reminds me of the old Black Hole near Tofino. I understand why they had to cut so much out due to our fuel tanks and engine room down below but it doesn't make it any easier. I feel like I should have a little memorial service down there as some of the wonderful old trees had become like dear friends to me.

When the loggers cut open that area - some of the trees were leaning on our highline, they did leave (as loggers always do) a stand of trees along the beach so you don't notice it from the beach but...... I figure I could learn to walk to the beach with my eyes closed.

Of course for some of you - you will know by now that we lost our "Bonsai" tree out front - Norbie's favourite tree. The rock outcropping does not look the same without it. Just last summer I marveled at how this tree could stay standing with just it's roots clinging to the rocks.

I am anxious for those of you that are coming this year to see the place and know how it will grieve you as well. After I walked down through the forest I walked along the beach and found a moon snail. I am sure God knew I needed a hug after my walk through the forest. But to quote a phrase - it is what it is and who knows what more we will see when we start walking to our favourite spots along the trails etc.

So regardless of what is around me here at Beale I savour being home again. I will be here until the 29th of January when I head up to Nootka for 10 days. A journey I am looking forward too as many years ago we camped up there and it is a beautiful place too. I will be learning aviation weathers which I am stoked about and I will also be returning up there for a month in April. Sorry those of you who sit behind a desk everyday - even with all that has happened around us this is still my idea of the best job ever.

We'll keep the light on
K

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lady of the Light said...

Pictures updated to include the view from the Tower.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home